Friday 27 July 2012

Ik Onkaar - One GOD


        In my search for tranquility and peace I often find the answers in spiritualism. I believe, Religion has no boundaries. Being a hindu by birth, it doesn't hold me back, in reading and following things I admire about other religions like Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism. In these years, every religion has become adulterated to some extent. Every passing generation added and subtracted the protocols of their religion to suit their needs. I believe there is just one GOD and the various religions are various ways of reaching him. Hence, I follow the best of all. I visit Jain and Buddhist temples because I feel my life comes to a standstill there. There, I get a chance to peacefully meditate and be thankful to GOD for what he has given me. Buddhism has simplified for me what religion is. I will definitely share about this in the posts to come. J

        What brings me close to Sikhism is that this religion focuses in selfless service (Sewa) to build a loving community life. Throughout the day people sing passages from the scripture in the Gurudwara. Irrespective of the fact that you know the language or not it comes across as a delight to the ears. Over six years back a movie called Rang De Basanti released and become a rage. People were in awe of the direction, acting skills and most importantly story line. Patriotism, was presented to India in a fresh way. As per me the best thing about the movie was a soothing Punjabi prayer that does nothing but ooze all over you. The purity of this track alone overwhelms your senses.  Folks, I present to you the lyrics and meanings of the prayer which will surely touch each one’s heart.

Ik Onkaar




ik onkaar, sat naam,  kartaa purakh nirbh-a-o nirvair akaal moorat ajoonee saibhn gur parsaad                                                                                                                                            
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, The Immortal, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace.

jap.
Meditate

aad sach jugaad sach.
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.

hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach.
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True!

sochai soch naa hov-a-ee jay sochee lakh vaar.
By pondering on God, man cannot have a conception of Him, even though he may ponder over lakhs of times.

chupai chup naa hov-a-ee jay laa-i rahaa liv taar.
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

bhukhi-aa bhukh naa utree jay bannaa puree-aa bhaar.
The hunger of the hungry isn't appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.

sehas si-aanpaa lakh hoh taa ik naa chalai naal.
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.

kiv sachi-aaraa ho-ee-ai kiv koorhai tutai paal.
So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

hukam rajaa-ee chalnaa naanak likhi-aa naal.
O Nanak, it is written that one shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will.

Here goes the video:



Punjabi culture and Sikhism have always fascinated me. A long pending wish of mine is to visit a Gurudwara (Place of worship for Sikhs),if possible The Golden Temple in Amritsar. I hope it comes true soon. J

3 comments:

  1. God Is One...We all are divided by religions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this version a lot. Checkout!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXT9Zteb2NE

    ReplyDelete